Can I go to jail for not paying taxes? It’s a question we field constantly. The answer: In some instances, yes you can. However, if you work with an experienced tax law attorney, the chances diminish greatly — unless, of course, you’ve committed a premeditated, overt crime. And even then, working with an Illinois tax fraud lawyer is your best bet for the best possible outcome.
Going To Jail Over Tax Fraud: Six Facts
Let’s take a look at six facts from the “Tax Fraud Offenses for Fiscal Year 2017,” published by the Sentencing Commission.
- Authorities sentenced 584 people, the majority of which had no prior criminal history, for tax fraud crimes.
- 8% of the cases involved tax losses of $100,000 or less; 87.2% involved tax loss of $1.5 million or less.
- Charged parties saw an increase in their sentences for a) using “sophisticated means” of trying to obstruct or avert the law; b) organizing or supervising a specific fraud scheme; c) abusing a position of public trust; d) interfering with the administration of justice or impeding the investigation.
- 1% of tax fraud offenders have to spend some time in prison, with an average sentence of about 1.5 years.
- The length of tax fraud jail sentences has decreased slightly over the past five years.
- Over the past five years, many tax fraud convicts have received a sentence reduction.
Speak With An Illinois Tax Fraud Lawyer
Have officials accused you of tax fraud? Or maybe you’re just terrified that you could be charged for errant or late filings. Either way, let us help.
We understand: Tax investigations rank among the most stressful in life. Our tax law team will help alleviate that pressure and get you back on track. Remember: This is just a blip on the radar. We’ve guided countless others across rough financial waters, and we’ll get you safely to the other shore, too.
Our team, the Gordon Law Group, has worked with individuals and businesses in Illinois, across the country, and around the world. We have the experience and relationships to make sure you’re in the best financial position possible.
Get in touch today. We have the tax advice, answers, and experience you need.Get In Touch With An Illinois Tax Fraud Lawyer Today »